Research Assistant (Casual)
Centre for Pediatric Pain Research, Research Services (IWK Health Centre)
The Research Assistant will provide research and administrative support to Dr. Christine Chambers, Professor in the Departments of Pediatrics and Psychology and Neuroscience at Dalhousie University. Specifically, the Research Assistant will assist Dr. Chambers and her team in carrying out their research at the Centre for Pediatric Pain Research at the IWK Health Centre. The Research Assistant would work with Dr. Jennifer Parker, Research Associate, as well as with trainee researchers (graduate students) on specific studies, and would interact and work closely with other members of Dr. Chambers’ Research team. The Research Assistant will provide:
- Research project management. This may include, assistance and training on conducting research projects according to specific study protocols, participant recruitment, telephone screenings and scheduling research appointments, setting up of study equipment and preparing study packages, guiding participants through study procedures, including administering questionnaires and conducting in-person and/or telephone interviews, organization and maintenance of study documents and protocols and data for ethical review, and coordinating and organizing volunteers.
- Data management. This may include, assistance with data and behavioral coding systems and transcribing qualitative data and interviews, maintaining paper and electronic databases (e.g., SPSS, Filemaker Pro, Excel, NVivo), assisting in the preparation of data sets for analysis, conducting and/or monitoring questionnaire scoring, data coding and other data entry tasks, and conducting simple descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Writing and presentation materials. This may include, conducting computerized literature searches, retrieving and reviewing journal articles and books from libraries and the Internet, entering data and maintaining article databases (e.g., Mendeley), assisting with the preparation of research presentations and posters, writing, organizing, and/or formatting other documents including research grant proposals and project applications for ethical review and renewal.
- Administrative tasks. This may include, scheduling, coordinating, and maintaining appointments and meetings; making travel arrangements, processing claims and expense recoveries, booking and coordinating events and meetings (including rooms & equipment), preparing agendas, attending meetings and recording minutes; coordination of schedules with outside organizations and colleagues, answering phone calls and email messages promptly; processing incoming/outgoing mail, maintaining office filing systems, photocopying and delivering documents as needed, and managing and ordering supplies.
Shifts: Flexibility required (e.g. early mornings, evenings and weekends depending on the nature of on-going studies), approximately 15 hours/week (minimum hours cannot be guaranteed and will be on a casual basis). Position will start as soon as possible. A current affiliation at the IWK Health Centre is considered an asset.
- Bachelors/Honours degree in Psychology, or another Health-related field
- Experience in a research environment or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Clinical or professional experience in a hospital environment an asset
- Demonstrated experience with sensitive and vulnerable populations an asset
- Professionalism and good interpersonal skills, including sensitivity to families dealing with various physical and/or mental health difficulties or other stressors
- Strong problem solving skills and good professional judgment; ability to assess risk and make ethical decisions
- High degree of computer literacy including familiarity with Microsoft Office, SPSS data analysis packages, Mendeley, and Internet resource use.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Attentive to detail, with the ability to work quickly and accurately
Interested applicants should send their cover letter and CV/resume to Dr. Jennifer Parker (on behalf of Dr. Christine Chambers) by email at JenniferA.Parker@iwk.nshealth.ca